Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Migraines

So we've come across something new in our home..sort of. Paige started getting migraines!!! Ben gets the odd one here and there...like I can count on one hand the number of migraines he's had. I, on the other hand, have never even had a real headache. If my head hurts it's usually because I have a ponytail in, I'm tired or I need to drink water. Problem solved. But Poor Paige started getting them like Crazy recently. It was pretty scary to see her in so much pain. Everything she described about the pain was soooo much exactly like a migraine, which made me feel better. I mean, that's better than some mystery neurological disorder right?? We took her into the doctor anyway, and he confirmed our suspicions. Yay for my Google medical degree! Anyway, he gave us some tips and tricks to deal with, calmed our nerves about their cause and sent us on our way. What seems to have been going on was a bit of genetics at play, those darn McCance genes, an unbelievably long stretch of warm winter weather, and a tired little 5 year old. Combine those three and she had no chance. It's still no fun and I feel terrible that she likely has to deal with migraines the rest of her life, but at least she won't be alone. Apparently 40% of kids actually suffer from migraines...they're just not so good at describing their symptoms that it often goes diagnosed. So this is her new life...and I'm just grateful that's all it was and nothing worse!



No comments: