Thursday, October 16, 2008

My current Favourites

I've been eating lots and lots of yummy dinners lately (maybe that's why I can't lose those last 5 pounds). Anyway, I thought I'd just share my favourite three recipes right now. I have lots of favourites, but these are relatively new to my list - so I'm loving them so much. Ok here it goes:

Chicken Tetrazinni
- this recipe comes to me courtesy of Ben's sister Rebecca; it's easy, delicious, and super kid friendly (i.e they don't even notice the veggies)

1 Box noodles (i.e. spaghetti, vermicelli, etc.)
*cook according to direction on box (i.e. boil)*

1/2 cup shredded zucchini
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
3T butter
1 T minced garlic
*saute in frying pan for 3 minutes*

2 cooked and chopped chicken breasts
1 can cream chicken soup
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk or cream
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
*add to veggies in frying pan...cook until warm throughout*

*Toss chicken/veggie sauce with drained pasta and serve*

Rustic Ratatouille with Chicken strips - this recipe is courtesy of my Sobey's magazine. Seriously, straight from the grocery store - and still super yummy - and pretty easy. It's less kid friendly - but in our home, Hailey will eat anything we give her. So it still works.

3T oil 1 onion chopped
*fry in large saucepan for 5 min*

1 cup Chopped eggplant
3 tsp dried 'garlic and roasted pepper' seasoning (you may not have this exact one where you live...but try something similar)
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
*add to saucepan - cook for 3 min*

1 cup chopped zucchini
*add to saucepan and cook for 5 min*

1 796 ml can diced tomatoes
*add and bring to boil...simmer until juices are thickened*

3 cups baby spinach
*add and cook for 3 minutes *
*Serve over chicken breast, or strips or nuggets....whatever you have. A

Substitution: I don't always add fresh spinach when I make it, sometimes I throw in frozen stuff, it's just as tasty

Cranapple Chicken Curry - this one's also from the Grocery store magazine, but is sooooooo delicious. Try it.

1 TB oil 1 Onion chopped
1 TB curry paste
1/2 tsp each Salt and pepper
*Cover and cook for 5 min in a deep skillet*

1.5 pounds boneless chicken thighs chopped
*add to curry mix, saute until brown and bring mix to boil*

1 TB flour 1 medium apple chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 796 ml can diced tomotoes
1 cup Coconut milk
*Add to chicken mixture - stir well*
*reduce heat and simmer until sauce it thick (20 minutes)*
*Serve over rice*

Substitution: I used precooked chicken breast instead of chicken thighs (I always cook a TON of breasts and then freeze them in strips to use later...totally time saving idea!!). SO it was easier to just pull a pack of precooked chicken out of the freezer

Anyway, those are my current favourites. I like these recipes because they are pretty much just one pot dishes. Everything goes in the same pot - just at different times. It totally saves on cleaning and helps with the organization. I hate it when there are too many things going at once on the stove. Anyway, I highly highly recommend you try all of these. And then maybe next month I'll share a few more favourites.

3 comments:

Cheryl and Bob said...

You should take pictures of some of these meals...they sound good!

Francis Family said...

hey you! so I have been wanting to comment on your blog so many times but my computer wouldn't let me, but we just got a new one!! yay!! So now I can, I can't believe how big that child is getting! She is adorable!

The Taylors said...

Oh I can't wait to try those! I have been meaning to post some dinners too. One day, it takes time! It is always fun to swap recipes!