Monday, June 12, 2006

5 years...

... one wedding, two apartments, a first home, a twin pregnancy later and I'm finally done University. Well technically it was 4 full years, two spring/summer courses and one final semester with only one course (so 4 1/2 years). I like to pretend I was actually done in June of last year, but we all know better. Anyway, I was so excited to attend my convocation, although I'm not really sure why. It was long, boring, a little bizarre, mostly pointless, a little long, and even a bit longer. But in the end they read my name (which they pronounced Meegan), I walked across the stage, shook hands with some important guy, had my picture taken (which I forgot to pose for), shook hands with some other guy, received my Alumni pin, had another picture taken, and sat down - but most importantly they read my name and I walked across the stage. It was all done. My years as a University student are finally done!!! Now, there area few things I wish someone had told me before the ceremony. Here it goes:


I wish that someone had told me...

  1. How great it really feels to walk across the stage with my degree in hand and shake hands with the "important" guy (I have no idea who he was)
  2. How odd the clothes are - who were all those people sitting up front wearing crazy clothes?
  3. How bizarre the actual ceremony is - like why did the guy wave his magic wand around?
  4. That there are actual awards to be won, had I known that, I probably would have worked a lot harder (who am I kidding - I wouldn't have changed a thing, but I still wish I knew)
  5. That although it's just a silly ceremony, it really does feel like something is different. I can now say (without lying) that I have graduated from University with a BCOMM!!! Now that is impressive
  6. That the people they give "honorary degrees" to are sometimes crazy - at least ours was. "...you are here to represent the 95% of the population who are working and not the disadvantaged..." hmmm....
  7. That during the whole ceremony you sit there hoping your family cheers really really loud for you, and then when it's your turn you are just too excited to listen (I think you did because the "important guy" said he could hear my family chearing - he's "important" so I'll trust him)
  8. That you actually get excited. I thought I didn't care until that day.
  9. That the guy handing out alumni pins probably doesn't like the fact that I mocked the pin when he gave it to me. Some should have told me that I'd be getting a lame pin
  10. That somehow I still don't feel done...I'm already planning what I'm going to do next when I go back to school (am I crazy?)

Anyway, here are some pics from the day:

Here's everyone that showed up (except Mom cause she's taking the picture)

Dad, Mom, me (the one in the cap and gown) and Ben

The two Haskayne grads from our Family

The guy who helped me through the last 3 1/2 years of school

My Husband!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I truly and literally am wiping my eyes so I can see, I laughed so hard. Magic wand!! Crazy clothes!! Believing the important guy because he's important!

Sooo funny. You should submit this to the Globe and Mail essay page.