Tuesday, August 10, 2010

We're getting there

We're in our new home....and I am so grateful! We're not totally settled, but we're getting there.


So here's the story:


Ben has been looking at houses for some time now. He's been looking more for an investment rental property then for a home for us. However, he came across this little gem that we can now call our own and we just couldn't turn it down. It was the fastest deal I've ever seen happen. The house was a foreclosure...and I know what you're thinking - trashed, dirty, a TON of work, etc. Well let me tell you, this house is in amazing shape! It's only 3 years old, it has nothing - absolutely nothing wrong with it...and it was spotless. Somehow who ever lived here before had the decency to clean this place before they left. Not a speck of dust or a crumb of food could be found in the home. The only problem was the allergy I had to the home (i.e. there used to be a cat or dog in the home). However, with plenty of cleaning I can now safely breathe and live in this house. So anyway, things moved really fast since it was a foreclosure. We put an offer in on June 24th and were in the house by July 15th. Things got a little scary there for a while because of a mix-up with out mortgage broker. But in the end everything worked out! So now we're here, and we're trying to get settled. We have some organizing and setting up to do. We have some more furniture to buy. But all of that will come with time...because right now our main priority is getting our other home ready to rent! So...if you know anyone who is looking to rent a house Okotoks, you know who to call:)


Anyway, here are some pictures of the beauty! If you look at these pictures I need some help with a few decorating tips....



The Outside:

Ok, not my first choice of colours, but it will do. However, the door is a very very blah colour of beige (and not the same as the rest of the house). We need to paint it...but don't know what to do. The obvious choice is the rust colour - but I hate it!! I really do. I don't want to add more rust to the house. I had considered changing all the trim...but it's just not going to happen. The house is only 3 years old...it's in perfect condition. Why change it if we don't have to. So anyway...any tips on the door colour?

The Front Entry:
What should I hang on that oh so boring wall?

The living room:

Can you see the obvious problem here?? That big blob of a rock on the fireplace? That has GOT to go. So I need suggestions on way to re-do the tile. We'll start from scratch...but obviously leave the mantel. Oh and don't worry - that giant TV of my husbands will be GONE!! It hasn't been set up because we haven't yet agreed on where it's going to go. I think the only place for it is in the basement - which will be developed this year. But he thinks it needs to sit in the living room until then. I don't agree. I'll let you know who wins.

The kitchen:
No problems here. Granite, Solid wood cabinetry, giant island, under cabinet lighting...need I go on?? Oh...right, we have installed a beautiful stainless steel microwave above the stove since this pic was taken. She really is a beautiful kitchen.

Powder Room:
As you can tell I'm already planning to paint over that horrible rust colour. I've decided on the 2nd lightest blue on that colour swatch beside the mirror. Do you agree?


The Bonus room:
Besides obviously needing furniture (which happens to be stuck indefinitely in the basement of our old home), and a small tv, I'm ok with this room.

Paige's Room:
I'll hang some pictures...all will be ok.
Hailey's Room:

I can't wait until these two girls share a room - this room is definitely big enough for two beds. I can just imagine it now. By the way - that was definitely not an announcement.
Our room:

Our closet...so unorganized:
Our bathroom:

And that's it. We really love this house. We especially love the back yard - which I forgot to get pictures of. But the girls spend so much time just playing and playing and playing back there. We're really excited to get everything unpacked and it's it place, to hang pictures and to make it our home.
by the way...sometime in the next week or so, I'll have to post some more pictures of the last few weeks (i.e. Hailey's Birthday, my brothers wedding, and two camping trips). Stay tuned.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I was just blog hopping. Friend to friend, so it's not like I am a total stranger from out "here". So no worries there.

Anyway, you asked about the front door (congrats on the NICE deal of a new house....amazingly lucky.....so envious)....okay....back to the front door. Might I suggest a dark Navy Blue. It will bring out the front door in a strong, but nice contrasting way with the Rust color. The same thing for something on that gigantic wall. An old vintage door frame or screen with a mirror of some sort or maybe a collage of some old but modern metal pieces. In dark blue or chocolate brown.

Anyway....just my two cents worth. Congrats again!

Lahni said...

I think you should put a mirror on that bare wall. Don't you already have one that used to hang in the front entrance of your old house? (But of course I think you should have a mirror there because I have a mirror there!) You could also put a little table there with some fun (kid proof) stuff.
As for the door colour, I have no idea what colour to paint it...couldn't you paint over the rust instead of replacing it? (I really want to know because I kind of hate the trim colour/flashing on my house too).
The powder room would look great a light blue. Your house looks so cute! I'm so excited you're living so much closer to me now. Isaiah thinks he's going to walk over by himself for piano lessons!

The Harker Family said...

Oh my goodness your home is gorgeous! I love it! I had no idea you had already moved in! When we were talking about your new home last week I thought you had not moved in yet! So funny! Well I think it is just beautiful (I adore the kitchen), and I must say I like the rust! I would paint the door a dark brown.

The Taylors said...

Meagan! It looks so great!!!! Thanks for posting pictures finally! I am not decoration savvy but I like the mirror idea. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Francis Family said...

SO CUTE! I am sooo jealous! The kitchen is so nice!
Yay for the house! That must be so exciting!
by the way, something like that would go for 700 thousand up here, haha. Maybe next year ;)

Christine Peterson said...

Just because I see pictures doesn't mean you are getting out of a personal home tour K? LOL I agree with Caroline on the door colour something neutral, dark brown. You could paint your trim but then you have the flashing to deal with. I don't like slate green and that's what I have on my siding. It was the only house available so we took it. You'll get used to it. As for your front entry, I thought a mirror facing a window is against feng shui? I guess it depends on the mirror.Love your kitchen! Awesome :) You have to explain the rock....what is going on?! But I like the tile around it. Beautiful home.

Baker Family said...

Love the house!!!! Can't wait to see it in person...I think a black door would look nice, but your decorating is always so cute. Love the blue shade for the bathroom- ooh this house is so pretty! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Love the navy blue idea for the front door -- check carefully though because our new door came with a warning not to paint it a dark colour because the heat of the sun would melt it -- or something else just as drastic. ;(
Mirrors in the entrance way are good for checking for errant strands of lettuce in your braces -- no braces? Well, then paint a picture, I know you can do it.
I love your back yard. I have pictures...
Love the house, especially the kitchen. My dream kitchen - umm, well, I also would like a walk in closet and a huge bathroom ensuite.
Hugs,
G-Ma

Julie said...

Gorgeous new house, congrats! Can't wait to see what you do with it :)